Sunday, June 29, 2008

"The Air I Breathe" Review


So, lazzzzy Sundays call for movies! Jay went to visit his family and the dog was bored, so I popped in this movie. Honestly, I knew nothing about this movie except: 
A - it was a story about how people were connected (a la "Crash") 
B - it did not get great reviews
C - Sarah Michelle Gellar was in it. I admit, this was the only reason I got it. I have an undying love for all things Buffy. 

It wasn't half bad. It wasn't "inspired" or even a totally new concept. It was based on the idea that there are 4 cornerstone emotions: Happiness, Pleasure, Sorrow and Love. Ok, I can get that. The 4 main characters represented these emotions, natch. Basically, you cannot know Love without Pleasure, nor Sorrow without Happiness

Forest Whitaker was Happiness. He is an excellent actor, but his scenes were a little hard to watch b/c his character was depressing. (Weird, right? For the guy representing Happiness, his scenes made me cringe!) But, I guess that was the point - he could not be truly happy until the end, until he was released. 

Brandon Frasier was Pleasure. He was very dark, very mysterious. I likey! He was pretty instrumental throughout the whole film. His story leaves you wondering what at all is pleasurable about his life, but you get it once you find out about his past. 

Sarah Michelle was Sorrow. I love her. She can do no wrong in my book. She was very good in this film...she took her character and made her grow. She was actually a very central figure throughout the whole movie. She kind of tied everything together. And, her ending was my favorite, as it was the one with the most closure. 

Kevin Bacon was Love. I felt bad b/c he kind of got shafted as far as screen time. It was almost as if they kind of threw his story in there at the end. Poor thing. He was ok. He didn't really have room to spread his wings. 




No comments: